Young artists talk about the plants and animals in a desert environment, learn about how the giant saguaro (suh-wahr-oh) cactus grows and use paint, paper, glue and mixed media to make their own cactus scene.
Story: The Seed and the Giant Saguaro by Jennifer Ward
Project: Create your own cactus scene
Featured Artwork: Cole Weston (American, 1919-2003), Plaza Island, Galapagos, 1973, Cibachrome. Museum purchase. 1978.7
- Green paint (or green and other color crayon)
- Fork (if using paint)
- 4”x6” or 6”x8” green or white scrap of construction paper
- 8”x10” or 9”x12” color construction paper for background
- Elmer’s glue or glue stick
- Sand (or glitter, salt, cornstarch, confetti, etc. Feel free to use what you have!